Improve your Digital marketing strategy: How to structure a plan? with our hub page
Use our hub pages as a reference to get up-to-speed on all the main digital marketing techniques. They will help you quickly understand how to make the most of the technique through definitions and recommendations on our member resources and blog articles covering strategy, best practices and the latest statistics.
We believe that a digital marketing strategy is essential to take advantage of the growing opportunities from digital marketing, yet even in 2018, many companies don’t have a digital marketing strategy!
Our recent Managing Digital marketing research report (a free download) showed that half of companies don’t yet have a planned digital marketing strategy:
How to structure a digital marketing plan?
An integrated digital strategy will give you a foundation for all the key online marketing activities we recommend in the Smart Insights RACE digital marketing planning framework. This integrates 25 essential multichannel marketing activities covering all parts of the customer lifecycle broken down in these sections:
- Plan – Use a data-driven approach to review your current digital marketing effectiveness, customize analytics, set up KPI dashboards and SMART objectives create a strategy of prioritized improvements to how you deploy digital marketing media, technology and data to increase leads and sales
- Reach – Build awareness using the 6 key online marketing techniques which will drive visits to your site.
- Act – Encourage interactions on your website or social media to help you generate leads for future
- Convert – Use retargeting, nurturing and conversion rate optimization to remind and persuade your audience to buy online or offline if phone and face-to-face channels if these are important to you.
- Engage – Increase sales from existing customers by improving personalized communications using web, email and social media marketing
This page groups our key recommendations on creating a digital strategy. Register as a member to access our resources that show you how to structure a digital marketing plan.
Top 5 Recommended resources
1. Free download – Digital marketing strategy template – structured around our RACE planning template, it gives you a fast way to create a digital marketing plan.
2. Free report – Managing Digital marketing research report
3. Article – Digital Marketing statistics 2018 – our pick of the top 10 free sources
4. Paid report – Digital marketing healthcheck – a rapid audit of your digital marketing
5. Paid report – Digital strategy guide – 7 Steps to create a successful strategy
Digital marketing strategy: How to structure a plan? quick guide
Digital marketing strategy: How to structure a plan? success factors
An effective digital strategy will help you take the right decisions to make a company successful online. A strategy process model provides a framework that gives a logical sequence to follow to ensure inclusion of all key activities of strategy development and implementation. We recommend the SOSTAC planning approach.
A Digital Marketing Strategy should involve a review to check that all of your capabilities are in place to help your organisation manage all of the digital touchpoints. But which capabilities are important, which do you need to review?
In our Managing Digital Transformation Guide for Paid subscribers we show these in our capability visual:
A successful Digital Strategy should be built on reviewing 7 core capabilities which are strategic approach, performance improvement process, management buy-in, resourcing and structure, data and infrastructure, integrated customer communications and customer experience.
Digital marketing strategy: How to structure a plan? definition
A digital marketing strategy is a channel strategy which means that it should…
- Be informed by research into customer channel behaviour and marketplace activity = intermediaries, publishers and competitors
- Based on objectives for future online and offline channel contribution %
- Define and communicate the differentials of the channel to encourage customers to use it,
- BUT, need to manage channel integration
So put another way, digital marketing strategy defines how companies should:
- Hit our channel leads & sales targets
- Budgets for Acquisition, Conversion, Retention & Growth, Service
- Communicate benefits of using this channel “ enhance brand
- Prioritise audiences targeted through channel
- Prioritise products available through channel
Recommended member resources for Digital marketing strategy: How to structure a plan?
- B2B startup digital marketing plan example and case study
Ebooks on Digital marketing strategy
- 10 digital marketing megatrends 2019
- Competitor benchmarking guide
- Digital marketing strategy guide
- How to avoid these 10 SMB Digital Marketing Mistakes
- Integrated Marketing 2020 guide
- Marketing Forecasting techniques for marketing planning guide
- SOSTAC® Digital Marketing Planning Guide
Online training on Digital marketing strategy
- Digital marketing e-learning course
Marketing templates on Digital marketing strategy
- Digital marketing plan example
- Digital marketing plan workbook
- Digital marketing planning infographics
- Digital marketing strategy audit/healthcheck
- Free digital marketing plan template
- Inbound marketing Quick Wins template
- Lifetime Value Spreadsheet
- Online customer acquisition budget spreadsheet
- Online customer acquisition guide
- Online startup business model template
- PowerPoint digital marketing planning template
- Q4 2018 Online Marketing Statistics Compilation – Adoption and Usage of Digital Platforms
For the latest on how business create strategies and manage digital marketing, see our Managing Digital Marketing 2015 research or our listing of the top Digital Marketing statistics sources.
- Forecast growth in percentage of online retail / Ecommerce sales
- 100+ must-see digital marketing research statistics for 2018
- Statistics every marketer should know about Millennials in 2017
- Baby boomer marketing statistics
- 12 Global Internet Trends to inform your 2017 strategy
Tools & Software
- 8 Online revenue model options for Internet businesses
- A full compilation of essential digital marketing tools
- A review of software and services for collaborating on feedback for page designs
Best websites on Digital marketing strategy: How to structure a plan?
There are surprisingly few quality digital marketing strategy sites since most focus on the strategy. We like to think we’re different in our focus on strategy too. These are our top 10 sites to learn more about digital marketing strategy:
- 1. BCG Perspectives – The Boston Consulting Group of “BCG Matrix” fame has recently improved its articles and research on multichannel marketing and customer insight
- 2. Econsultancy reports – The Econsultancy blog mainly covers tactics, but there are sound research reports on managing digital channels and ecommerce teams.
- 3. Figaro Digital. Unusual since it’s an offline magazine, but these editorial articles often cover digital strategy and are accessible by industry.
- 4. Forrester Marketing Blog. Forrester analysts write about developments in technology and consumer behaviour .
- 5. Knowledge@Wharton. The Marketing section often covers online marketing issues and cases.
- 6. Financial Times Connected Business. Monthly articles based on case studies.
- Harvard Business Review blog. Quality commentary on the intersection of marketing and technology strategy, but unfortunately, not a well tagged blog.
- 7. McKinseyQuarterly. Articles regularly cover digital marketing strategy.
- 8. The Web Strategy blog. A personal blog by Jeremiah Owyang, previously a Forrester analyst, now at Altimeter. Mainly covers social media strategy.
Key techniques for Digital marketing strategy: How to structure a plan?
These are the related techniques which we recommend as important for managing Digital marketing strategy: How to structure a plan? effectively. View these hub pages giving details on best practices, statistics and examples for these techniques: